The Florence is a carvel-built, day boat. She is a gunter rigged sloop - sail number H7 - and was also known as Doddy and Ju-Ja. Many islanders learned to sail in her when they were cadets with the St Helier Yacht Club.
LOA: 18 ft (5.4m)
LWL: 15 ft 3 ins (4.6m)
Beam: 6 ft 6 ins (1.95m)
Draft: 3ft 2 ins (0.95m)
Sail Area: 187 sq ft. (13.68 sq m)
She was originally designed by AR Luke and was built in Hampshire on the River Hamble by the family firm, Luke & Co in 1913. This Hamble One Design is one of a pair in our collection, the other being the Jesse. They were owned by Sir Jesse Boot and his wife, Florence, who donated them to the St Helier Yacht Club in 1924 where they were used in the teaching of sailing until the late 1940s when they were sold off into private ownership. Florence was bought by the Jersey Heritage Trust in August 1996 from Mr and Mrs Holloway of St Helier
The restoration of the Florence has been funded through the generosity of Mr and Mrs David Crossland in memory of Mr Crossland's late mother, Florence. Restoration work which began in November 1999 has been carried out by a small team headed by Trevor Bull in the workshop of the Maritime Museum on the New North Quay, St Helier
It is planned that she will be re-launched at a special re-dedication ceremony in September 2000.
Return to Patrimoine